Q: How do I apply for one of your courses?
A: All prospective students, with the exception of exchange students, regardless of country of origin, should apply via the national admissions website www.universityadmissions.se.

Click on this link for a step-by-step guide to your application: 


If you are an exchange student, please click on this link for a step-by-step guide:


Q: When are the application deadlines?
A: Final application dates for programmes and courses starting in the autumn semester:
15 January – All applicants
15 April – Please note that applicants who need a residence permit are not encouraged to apply in this round as they will not have enough time to apply for and receive a residence permit before the start of the semester. Also note that not all programmes will open up for application in this admission round.

Final application dates for programmes and courses starting in the spring semester:
17 August – All applicants
15 October – Please note that applicants who need a residence permit are not encouraged to apply in this round as they will not have enough time to apply for and receive a residence permit before the start of the semester. Also note that not all programmes will open up for application in this admission round.

Q: Do I need to pay fees to study at Stockholm University?
A: Education in Sweden is free for Swedish citizens and for EU/EEA/Swiss citizens.

In addition, all students coming to Sweden as part of an exchange agreement – whether from within or outside of the EU/EEA/Switzerland – are exempt from fees.

Applicants from countries outside the EU/EEA/Switzerland are required to pay both the application fee and tuition fees. (Applies to all studies commencing after June 2011.)

For more information see https://www.su.se/english/education/admissions/fees-and-scholarships.

Q: I failed to make an application during the regular application period - can I still register for a course?
A: Some of our courses will be open for late applications via the national admissions website www.universityadmissions.se

Q: I have not applied to a course - can I still be accepted if there are vacancies as the course starts?
A: If you are not an exchange student, the answer is no. All applications must go via www.universityadmissions.se However, if you are an exchange student you can talk to your exchange coordinator to see if you can get a place on the course.

Q: What happens when I get my Notification of Selection Results?
A: Students will receive two Notification of Selection Results, one after each of the two selection rounds. The results of these selection rounds will be presented in your Notifications at universityadmissions.se. You must reply to your first Notification of Selection Results in order to keep the places you've been offered, or to be placed on the reserve/waiting list for the second selection round.

For further information, please see:


Q: I have been placed on a waiting list, what happens now?
A: Students who are qualified for a course or programme but have a merit rating lower than other students who have applied can be offered a reserve place. This means that the student has been placed on a waiting list. The chances of actually being offered a place depend on several factors, such as the popularity of the course or programme, how many students that don't accept their place, and your reserve number. If you can be offered a place on the course you will be contacted by the department at the start of the semester.

Q: What do I need to do to take the TOEFL test?
A: Applications should be made via www.toefl.org. The test can either be done on paper or via the internet. The test is held six times per year.

The next opportunity to take the TOEFL test in Sweden is in the beginning of May. The test dates vary from country to country so it is necessary to check the information for the specific country you are resident in.

Q: How do I apply for the Swedish as a second language course?
A: For more detailed information contact the Department of Scandinavian Languages, with the Dutch Division. www.su.se/svefler/english
Please note that all Swedish courses at the University require at least Upper Secondary School level education.

Q: How can I get a visa?
A: You must first receive a place on a course of programme at Stockholm University, after which you should contact the Swedish Migration Board (Migrationsverket).

Q: I am applying to study at Stockholm University from a country outside of the EU/EEA. Where should I apply for a study permit?
A: You can apply for permission to study or work in Sweden, from within Sweden via the Swedish Migration Board (Migrationsverket), or via any Swedish embassy in any part of the world.

Q: I have been given a Swedish ID number (personnummer). How do I replace the temporary Student ID number, given to me by Student Services, with the new ID number?
A: Go to Infocenter on the entrance floor in Studenthuset. There you will need to show the documentation you have received from the Swedish Tax Authority (Skatteverket). A copy of this documentation will then be taken and sent to the team responsible for the national student database, Ladok, where your details will be changed accordingly.

Q: How do I find housing in Stockholm?
A: When finding accommodation on your own, it is important to start well in advance. It has proved quite difficult to find student housing in Stockholm, especially in the beginning of the semester when Swedish students are also looking for accommodation. For more information, please see:


If you are an exchange student you can get help with accommodation from the housing office, who manages a limited number of corridor rooms and studio apartments in Stockholm. For more information, please go to Housing for exchange students.

Q: What is a university account and a university card, and how do I activate them?
A: Your university account gives you access to a number of IT services at Stockholm University. The university card is used for library services, and printing/copying.

All students at Stockholm University are given access to a university account which includes various IT services, such as WiFi, data storage and IT security. If you are a confirmed user at antagning.se, which means that you’ve made use of your PIN-code from antagning.se,  you can activate your university account here. Use the same user name and password as you did at antagning.se.
Activate your university account

Q: How do I register for a course?
A: If you have applied through universityadmissions.se, you will register for your courses online via web registration. If you are an exchange student you register by visiting our student affairs office. You will receive more information about registration from our department if you are accepted to any of our courses or programmes.

Learn more about registration.

Q: Where can I find the schedule and reading list for my course?
A: You will find all the information you need on each course page under "Education" - "Courses and Programmes"

Q: What is Athena, and how do I access it?
A: Use your university account to log in to the University’s collaboration and learning environment Athena. Within Athena you can, for example, communicate with teachers and fellow students, fetch and turn in homework, and find information concerning possible changes in schedules. 

More information

Q: Is there any support available for students with disabilities?
A: Yes. As an enrolled student with a documented disability – regardless of whether you are studying at bachelor's, master's or PhD level – you can apply for educational support in connection with your studies at Stockholm University.

Learn more

Q: Athena/My University card/WiFi/My login does not work. What do I do?
A: If you have any problems with the IT services at Stockholm University,
please contact Heldesk

Q: I would like to decline my place at a course, what do I do?
A: If you are not yet registered, you do not need to do anything as you will not be enrolled with the course until you have registered. If you are registered you should contact our student affairs office: expedition.ike@su.se.